Out of Sight Dragons
A dragon boat racing team of the blind and visually impaired in the Metro Washington DC Area
Who We Are
The Out of Sight Dragons are an affiliated DC Dragon Boat Club team of blind and visually impaired individuals, friends, families, volunteers, and partner organizations passionate about the ancient sport of dragon boat racing.
What is a Dragon Boat?
A dragon boat is a human-powered wooden or fiberglass canoe-like watercraft decorated with a Chinese Dragon’s Head at the front and tail at the back. Dragon Boat teams, paddling in unison to the beat of a drum, propel their boats forward, aiming to reach the finish line in the fastest time. Spectacular for participants and spectators alike, dragon boat races are the highlight of dragon boat festivals here in DC and around the world. The Out of Sight Dragons compete in this exciting sport from May to October.
- To advocate the the inclusion of people with disabilities, particularly blind and visually-impaired athletes
- Creating camaraderie by working together to win a common goal
- Building trust and self-esteem essential to a healthy and happy social life
- Encouraging and offering ways to give back to the community
- Promoting full-body health through physical, mental, and emotional workout exercises and therapy
International Para-Dragon Competitions
The years 2021 and 2022 offer an extra special opportunity, as the United States will host the World Para-dragon Championship. Dragon boat teams of people with disabilities will compete against their colleagues from around the world. This is a unique opportunity to rise to the challenge of a mega dragon boating event to be held in our country.
Come Paddle with us!
For our practice schedule, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org